by Scarlett Stough
Read Genesis 16:1-15.
1. How did Sarah's solution to her childlessness backfire on her?
2. How did both Sarah and Hagar express their resentment toward each other?
3. How do you think Hagar felt about God hearing and seeing her?
4. Why would it be best for Hagar to return to Sarah?
5. Galatians 4:21-31. How does the apostle Paul use this situation to illustrate Christian freedom?
Read Genesis 17:1-27.
1. Genesis 17:1-14; Romans 4:9-18; Revelation 7:9-17. Explain how God fulfilled his promise to Abraham.
2. Romans 4:11-12; Ephesians 1:13-14. What purpose did circumcision have for Abraham and his physical descendants? Why is this ritual not necessary today for those who believe?
3. Genesis 17:15-27. Why do you think God insisted that the child of promise be Sarah's child as well as Abraham's?
4. Genesis 18:1-15. How did God reassure Sarah when she laughed at the thought of bearing a child at her advanced age?
5. Galatians 3:26-29; 1 John 3:1-2. What does being “Abraham's seed” mean to you personally? In what ways have you come to know God sees and hears you?