by Scarlett Stough
1. 1 John 4:1. What is the reason John warns Christians to “test the spirits?”
2. 1 John 4:2-3. What is one way we can test those who claim to speak for God?
3. 1 John 4:4-6. Where do we look for truth to test for lies?
4. 1 John 4:7-21. What test reveals whether or not we (or teachers) know God? What does one look for as evidence of love?
5. 1 John 5:1-9. What is the evidence that a person is “born of God?” How can we use this to test those who claim to speak God's message?
6. 1 John 5: 10-12. What is the testimony God gave for his Son?
7. 1 John 5:13-19. What can we do to be protected from believing lies? What can we do to try to shield one another from deception and wrongdoing?
8. 1 Corinthians 14:29; Acts 17:11; 1 John 5:20-21. What counsel and encouragement do you find in these passages for testing and recognizing false teachers and teachings?