The Wisdom That Comes From Heaven
By Scarlett Stough
To prepare for this Bible study, please
read the women in Christ commentary, A
Part I The Example of The Wise Woman
1. II Samuel 20:1-3 Describe the political situation that you see described in this passage? How is this situation a threat to David and the nation of Israel? (See the following scriptures for some background on verse 3: II Samuel 12:7-12; 16:20-22)
2. II Samuel 20:4-5 Why would it be important for David to take immediate action?
3. II Samuel 20:6-7 What prompted David to appoint another commander besides Amasa to pursue Sheba?
4. II Samuel 20:8-13 What kind of man does Joab reveal himself to be by his actions? Have you noticed anything missing from their consideration as David and his men pursue Sheba?
5. II Samuel 20:14-15 Meanwhile, what did Sheba do and where did he go? What do you think his intentions were?
6. II Samuel 20:15-22 With a small army inside her gates and a powerful one outside the city walls, a wise woman took action. What do you think her options were? Summarize the steps she took to solve their problem and save their city.
7. Do you think she and the townspeople
acted wisely and ethically? Why, or why not?
Part II Listen! Listen!
1. Proverbs 1:7; 9:10; Deuteronomy 4:5-8; Psalm 119:97-104 How does the fear of the Lord and obedience to his instructions produce wisdom?
2. Proverbs 9:7-9; Ecclesiastes 7:5; 9:17-18; 12:9-14; II Timothy 3:14-17 How do we learn wisdom?
3. James 1:5; Deuteronomy 34:9; I Kings 3:7-12; 4:29-34; 5:12 Why would God give wisdom to those who request it? How do you think he wants wisdom applied to your life?
4. Matthew 7:24-27; Luke 11:29-32 What will God’s wisdom guide you to do?
5. I Corinthians 1:18-25, 30 How did God express his wisdom in the world? In what ways is Christ Jesus wisdom from God for you?
6. I Corinthians 2:1-16 What is “God’s secret wisdom” and how is it revealed to us?
7. I Corinthians 3:18-23; II Corinthians 1:12-14 How does God’s grace reveal the wisdom of this world to be foolishness?
8. Ephesians 5:15-18; Colossians 4:5-6; James 3:13-18 List the qualities that “the wisdom that comes from heaven” shows in those who are “wise and understanding.” Give a short definition of each quality and apply each to your life in at least one specific way.
9. After reading these passages on godly
wisdom, in what ways did King David, Joab, and the wise woman of Abel show
God’s wisdom or the lack of it? What lesson or lessons did you gain from
this account to apply to your life?