A Wife For My Son
By Scarlett Stough
Part I The Example of Rebekah, Bride
1. Genesis 15:4-6 What promise did God make to Abraham?
2. Genesis 24:1-10 Why did Abraham send his servant to find a bride for Isaac from among his relatives?
3. Genesis 24: 10-12, 6-7 What part does faith play in their (Abraham, the servant, and Isaac) search for a bride?
4. Genesis 24:12-21 Why do you think the servant chose this test to find a bride? What qualities did Rebekah exhibit in her treatment of this elder traveler?
5. Genesis 24:22-27 How did Abraham’s servant reward Rebekah?
6. Genesis 24:28-32 How did Laban, Rebekah’s brother, respond to his unexpected guest? And why?
7. Genesis 24:33-49 Why do you think the servant was eager to complete his promise to Abraham before eating or resting?
8. Genesis 24:50-56 Note the urgency and the refusal to delay. What significance does this have in this account?
9. Genesis 24: 57-58; 24:8 Notice that Rebekah had a choice. Why do you think she made the choice to leave her home, familiar surroundings, and her family to marry someone she had never seen in a land she could only imagine?
10. Genesis 24:59-66 What was the response
the bride and bridegroom had toward one another?
Part II. Will You Go With This Man?
1. John 3:13-21; Acts 2:38-41 Just as Rebekah had a choice to join or refuse to join Isaac as her husband, so every person on this earth has a choice to make. What is that choice?
2. John 4:7-14; Genesis 24:17 What similarities do you see in these accounts and what differences? What is the “water” Jesus offers to those who come to him?
3. John 6:44; Genesis 24:1-3, 6-8 Do you see any similarities between God the Father’s involvement in selecting those who are drawn to Jesus and Abraham’s involvement in selecting Isaac’s bride? What qualities were each seeking?
4. Revelation 19:6-9; Ephesians 5:21-33; II Peter 3:11-14; I Thessalonians 3:12-13; Isaiah 61:10; 62:5 What do a bride and a bridegroom expect from one another? What does God expect from those he loves?
5. Matthew 25:1-13 What is the lesson or lessons Jesus is teaching in this parable?
6. Matthew 24:30-44; Revelation 22:12-17
What do you think you need to do “to be ready?” Will you be ready to meet
your “Bridegroom” when he sends for you?