By Scarlett Stough
To prepare for this Bible study, please read the women in Christ commentary, Joanna.
I. The Example of Joanna Luke 8:1-3
1. What was the message Jesus and his disciples were proclaiming?
2. How were their travel expenses paid?
3. Why do you think a woman of Joanna’s position and wealth would endure the inconvenience and discomfort of traveling in first century Galilee?
Luke 23:49, 55-56-24:1-10
4. In what other ways did Joanna follow and serve Jesus?
5. In what ways could you follow the example
II. Rich Toward God
1. Matthew 16:20-27; Luke 9:20-26 Since following Jesus is this difficult, why would a person choose to follow him?
2. Luke 12:13-15 What warning does Jesus give a person who wants more material goods and is not concerned about spiritual things?
3. Luke 12:16-20 What fact of life did this rich man in Jesus’ parable overlook?
4. Luke 12:21 What do you think “rich toward God” means?
5. Luke 12:15, 31-32; John 10:9-10; 14:6 Since our life does not consist of accumulating stuff, of what does our life consist? What should we strive to attain?
6. Luke 16:13-15; I Timothy 6:3-11; Hebrews 13:5-6 Why should a Christian not set his mind on accumulating wealth? What should she pursue?
7. II Thessalonians 3:6-13; I Thessalonians 4:11-12; Ephesians 4:28 Since it is not a sin to have money or work to earn a living, what character traits does God want us to develop in regard to work and money?
8. James 1:9-12; Philippians 4:11-13 What attitude should Christians have in either poor or rich circumstances?
9. Matthew 6:25-34; Luke 12:22-34 How can even a poor Christian avoid worrying over acquiring the necessities of food, clothing, and shelter?
10. Hebrews 11:1, 24-26; John 16:33 Why is faith and perseverance essential to a life of following Christ?
11. Ephesians 2:1-10 Describe “the incomparable riches” God provides for those who belong to him.
12. Which goal, seeking the kingdom of God and following Jesus, or pursuing material wealth and comfort, have you chosen? And why? Do you think these two goals are compatible? Why, or why not?