Bible Study Guide:
Set An Example in Speech
By Scarlett Stough
To prepare for this Bible study, please read the women in Christ commentary, The Word of Truth.
The Example of “The Word of Truth.”
Reading through both of Paul’s letters to Timothy will provide a good background for this series of studies on I Timothy 4:12 especially for those who have not ever read it.
1. I Timothy 1:1-7 What was Paul’s purpose in writing to Timothy? What kind of false words were causing controversies? What “word of truth” did Paul emphasize in this passage?
2. I Timothy 2:9-15 What were Paul’s specific instructions to women believers? How would this complement the command to men in 1:3-4? (Remember the study is about “the Word of Truth” and not intended to engender the never-ending controversy over women’s role in the church. Your belief and practice is between you and God and your own congregation.)
3. I Timothy 3:1-16 What were the requirements for overseers, deacons, and women who serve either as deacons or wives of those who do? How does this fit into the command to “set an example?”
4. I Timothy 4:1-5 What were some of the false teachings? How did Paul describe the character of these false teachers? What made these teachings false? Do you think Paul was saying it was wrong to decide not to marry or wrong to abstain from certain foods? (See Matthew 19:11-12; Romans 14:3, 6-8)
5. I Timothy 4:6-16 What was the “trustworthy saying?” What words were Timothy to use when he set an example in speech? What two areas of his life were Timothy commanded to watch closely? Why do you think Paul emphasized these?
6. I Timothy 6:3-10 What does this instruction tell us about what these false doctrines were and the character of those who spread them?
7. I Timothy 6:17-21; II Timothy 2:11-19 What was Timothy instructed to continue to remind the congregations he taught?
8. II Corinthians 4:5-6 Contrast from this passage what Paul preached compared to what false teachers preach. How can you discern between the “word of truth” and false teachings?
9. Hebrews 4:12-13; 5:11-14; II Timothy 3:16-17 How can we mature and prepare to be teachers of the word of truth?
|Volume 8 Issue 5 |
Notes from Nancy |
Women in Christ
Commentary | Bible Study Guide |
Abundance of the Heart |
Current Issue | Archives |