Bible Instructions for Christian Teachers
By Scarlett Stough
Please read the Women in Christ commentary, Priscilla: Teacher of the Way of God, to prepare for the study.
Part I Priscilla’s example
1. Acts 18:1-4 Where did Paul meet Aquila and Priscilla? What nationality were they? Why did they move? How did they make their living?
2. Acts 18:18-19 Where did Priscilla and Aquila go with Paul? How did they serve the church here? (I Corinthians 16:19; Note that verse 8 shows that Paul was writing from Ephesus.)
3. Acts 18:24-25 Describe Apollos. What knowledge did he lack?
4. Acts 19:1-7 What lack of understanding did these Christians have? Could there be a connection between their inadequate knowledge and what Apollos had been teaching? Why is it important to be prepared to teach others?
5. Acts 18:26 How did Priscilla and Aquila react to what they heard Apollos teach?
6. Acts 18:27-28 What impact do you think they had on his future ministry?
7. Romans 16:3-5; I Corinthians 16:19; II Timothy 4:19 What else do you learn about Priscilla and Aquila?
Part II Qualifications for a Christian Teacher
1. I Peter 3:15-16 What question should every Christian be prepared to answer? What attitude should we have toward Jesus? What attitude should we have toward those we teach? What is meant by “keeping a clear conscience?” How should a teacher treat his or her students? (I Timothy 5:1-2)
2. Hebrews 5:11-14 What prevented the recipients of Hebrews from being able to teach?
3. James 3:1-2 What is the warning? Why should we carefully consider whether or not we ought to take on the responsibility of teaching others?
4. Ephesians 4:7-16 Who appoints people for specific Christian work, such as teaching? Why are teachers needed? How can you know whether or not you or others are appointed to teach?
5. II Timothy 1:6-12 What three qualities did Paul instruct Timothy to develop? Did he expect this job to be easy? What must a person be prepared to do for the sake of the gospel?
6. Titus 1:5-9; I Timothy 3:1-13 What are the requirements listed in these verses for leaders and servants in the church?
7. I Timothy 2:11-15 In light of Priscilla’s work in the church, do you think Paul’s prohibition was for every Christian woman?
8. I Timothy 1:3-7; Titus 1:10-16 Why must “rebellious people” (men and women) be silenced? What reveals a person’s true knowledge of God? (Titus 1:16)
9. Matthew 22:41-46 How did Jesus silence those who opposed him?
10. II Timothy 2:15; 3:14-17 What did Timothy need to know to be able to teach?
11. I Timothy 4:12-16; 6:11-12; II Timothy 2:22-26 What should a teacher’s character be? How should a teacher handle those who oppose his or her teaching?
12. II Timothy 2:25; Philippians 3:15 Who has the ultimate responsibility for leading people to the knowledge of the truth?
Part III What should Christian teachers teach?
This study presumes the teacher has students who already know who Jesus is and has accepted him as Lord and Savior.
1. Matthew 5:17-20 What did Jesus say that great teachers would practice and teach?
2. Acts 13:38-39; 17:18; 20:21; 21:24; 24:14-16, 24-25;26:20; 28:23,31 What did Paul preach, teach, and practice?
3. I Timothy 4:1-8; I Timothy 6:3-5,10 What are some deceptive teachings? How was Timothy instructed to deal with them?
4. II Timothy 2:8-14 What was Timothy instructed to remind those he taught?
5. II Timothy 3:10-11, 14-17 What was to be the source of Timothy’s teaching?
6. Matthew 15:1-9 What did Jesus have to say about substituting traditions for the word of God? Give an example of a tradition that reinforces the instructions God gives us in the Bible. Give an example of a tradition that causes people to fail to follow God’s instructions?
7. Matthew 15:10-20 What teaching and practice did Jesus emphasize? Do you think he meant that washing for sanitary reasons was wrong?
8. Matthew 15:12-14 What made these religious leaders blind to right teachings?
9. II Timothy 4:1-5 What were Timothy’s responsibilities and how was he to carry them out?
10. Titus 2:3-5 What are the mature women in Christ instructed to teach?
11. Titus 2:1-15; 3:1-2; James 2:17-24; 3:13 Is sound doctrine (teaching) merely a matter of head knowledge and belief?
12. List or summarize what you have learned that will help you recognize right teaching.
Optional discussion: Romans 14 Discuss
what makes some differences in practice among Christians acceptable according
to Scripture while other practices are cause for rebuke, and, in some cases,
even removal from an assembly of Christians. (I Corinthians 5:2)