A Prophet’s Reward
By Scarlett Stough
To prepare for this Bible study, please
read the women in Christ commentary, A
Great Woman (The Shunammite Woman) Part 1 and II Kings 4:8-17.
Part I The Example of A Great Woman, Part 1
1. II Kings 4:8-10 What impression do you have about the character of this woman who lived near Shunem?
2. II Kings 4:11-13 What did Elisha offer to do for her as a reward for her generous hospitality? What reason did she give for refusing his offer? What can you conclude about her character from her response?
3. II Kings 4:14-16 What observation did Gehazi make about the woman’s circumstances? What promise did Elisha make to her? What did her spontaneous response reveal to you about her inner emotions and hopes?
4. II Kings 4:17 How do you think the promise
fulfilled affected her life and her hopes for the future?
Part II To Become Great
1. Matthew 20:25-28; Mark 10:42-45 What, according to Jesus, is the path to becoming great? How does his way differ from the world’s way?
2. Philippians 2:5-11 What example did Jesus set for us? What every day activities give you opportunities to practice the greatness Jesus practiced?
3. Isaiah 66:2b What qualities get God’s attention? How can having these characteristics make you great?
4. Matthew 10:40-42 How does the Shunammite’s story illustrate Jesus’ promise of “a prophet’s reward?” In what ways can you apply Jesus’ teaching and the Shunammite’s example to your own life?
5. Matthew 16:27; Luke 6:20-36; I Corinthians 3:8 When will Jesus reward his own followers? What character and behavior does Jesus consider worth rewarding?
6. Hebrews 11:6, 39-40; Revelation 22:12 What main characteristic is your reward dependent upon? Can you think of at least two more characteristics that will be rewarded? Include scriptures.
7. Ephesians 2:8-10; Matthew 25:14-30 Explain what the gift of God and the reward from God have to do with “works.”