The Prophetess Anna
By Scarlett Stough
To prepare for this study, please read
Luke 2:23-38 and the Women in Christ Commentary, The
Part I Anna’s Example
1. Luke 2:22-24, 27; Exodus 13:2; Leviticus 12:1-8 Why did Joseph and Mary bring Jesus to the temple?
2. Luke 2:25-27 What was Simeon expecting to happen in his lifetime? Why do you think God revealed this to him?
3. Luke 2:28-35; Isaiah 42:6; 49:6 Who did Simeon recognize Jesus to be?
4. Luke 2:36-37 What do Anna’s actions tell you about her faith and devotion?
5. Luke 2:38 How did Anna use the remainder
of her life? Examine your own circumstances. Is there a way you can express
your faith in God and Christian love for others?
Part II Fasting and Prayer
1. Luke 2:37; Matthew 4:2; Acts 13:2-3;
14:23; Matthew 6:16-17; 9:14-15; Luke 5:33-35;
2. Matthew 6:16; Luke 18:12, 14; Isaiah 58:3-12; Jeremiah 14:10-12 What makes some fasts unacceptable to God?
3. Matthew 9:15; Mark 2:20; Luke 5:35 What
did Jesus assume or expect his followers would do after he returned to
Part III All Kinds of Prayer and Requests
1. Ephesians 6:18; Romans 8:26-27 Do we have to get the words or the formula just right to be effective, praying people? Explain.
2.Ephesians 6:18-20; Philippians 1:18-20; Acts 4:24-31; 12:5, 12; Luke 10:2; Colossians 4:2-4; Hebrews 13:18-19; Romans 15:30-32; II Thessalonians 3:1-2 What specific prayers will help those who proclaim the good news about Jesus?
3. I Timothy 2:1-8 Why should we pray for government officials?
4. Matthew 5:22; Luke 6:28; 23:24 Have you tried praying for a person who is making trouble for you? What was the result? If you have not, why not?
5. Romans 10:1 How can you follow Anna’s and Paul’s example of praying for their countrymen?
6. Philippians 1:3-11; Ephesians 6:18; Colossians 4:12; James 5:16 In what ways can you pray for “all the saints” (Christians) that you know?
7. John 17:1-26 How can you follow Jesus’ example when you pray for your brothers and sisters in Christ?
8. Colossians 4:2; Romans 12:12; I Thessalonians
5:16-18 How will you incorporate the instructions you have learned from
the Scriptures in this Bible study into your daily prayers?