Love the LORD your God
By Scarlett Stough
To prepare for this Bible study guide, please read the Women in Christ Commentary Solomon's Wives.
For the complete record of Solomon's life,
read II Samuel 12:24-25; I Kings chapters 1-11; and II Chronicles chapters
Part I The Example of Solomon's Wives
1. II Samuel 12:24-25; Romans 9:11-16 God loved Solomon at his birth as he had loved Jacob over Esau. None of these children had done anything to earn or diminish God's love. Why do you think Solomon was “loved by the LORD” from birth?
2. I Kings 3:5-15 Why did Solomon request wisdom from God? What did God promise to give him along with the wisdom he asked for? How do you think God wanted him to use these gifts?
3.I Kings 2:2-4; I Kings 6:11-13; Deuteronomy 17:14-20; Exodus 34:12-17 What did God expect kings of Israel to do? What promise did God make, first to David, and then to Solomon?
4. I Kings 9:6-9; I Kings 3:1-3; 10:26-29; II Chronicles 9:22-28 What warning did God give Solomon? How well did Solomon carry out his duties according to God's instructions?
5. I Kings 11:1-13 Why did the LORD become
angry with Solomon? What judgment did God make?
Part II The Greatest Commandment
1. Matthew 22:34-40; Deuteronomy 6:4-6; Micah 6:8 What does “love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength” mean to you? How can we completely devote ourselves to God while earning a living and raising a family?
2. I Kings 11:1-8; Isaiah 1:1-31; I Corinthians 10:14-22; Colossians 3:5 Solomon built a beautiful temple to the LORD God and participated in temple worship. But he also followed religious practices to other gods and God became angry. What does modern idolatry look like? Why do you think God becomes angry by its practice?
3. Revelation 2:14-15, 20-21; Matthew 15:1-20; Colossians 3:5-10 What idolatrous practices, if any, do you see among people professing to be followers of Jesus Christ?
4. Matthew 10:32-39; Revelation 2:1-7; I Corinthians 13:1-3 How is it possible to do good works and have biblical teachings and yet fail to practice The Greatest Commandment?
5. Revelation 2:5; I Kings 11:11 Do you see any similarity between God's judgment on Solomon and that of the Son of God, Jesus, on the church?
6. I John 2:15-17; 4:7-21; 5:1-5; John 14:23-24; Philippians 2:12-13 How can we as Christians regain a lost “first love?” How do we maintain a wholehearted love for God?
7. Are there any areas in which you need to follow Jesus admonition for the churches to repent?