Go In Peace
By Scarlett Stough
To prepare for this study, please read
the Women in Christ commentary A Woman
Was There and Mark 5:21-36
Part I. The Example of A Woman Was There
1. Mark 5:21-24; Matthew 9:18-19; Luke 8:40-42; Describe the scene as if it were a movie you are watching?
2. Mark 5:25-26; Matthew 9:20; Luke 8:43; Leviticus 15:25-31 What state of mind do you think she might have had as a result of twelve years with this chronic illness?
3. Mark 5:27-28; Matthew 9:20-21; Luke 8:44; Malachi 4:2; Isaiah 53:4-5 Why do you think she believed Jesus could help her?
4. Mark 5:30-33; Luke 8:45-47 Why do you think she was reluctant to come forward and tell what had happened to her? Why do you think Jesus wanted her to tell her story?
5. Mark 5:29, 34; Matthew 9:22; Luke 8:48
Why did this woman need to hear Jesus’ personal words to her? What message
does this account have for Christians today? How do his words affect you
Part II. When Jesus Saw Their Faith
1. Mark 5:36; Luke 8:49-50 What did Jesus ask the synagogue ruler to do?
2. Mark 2:1-5 How did these men reveal their faith? What did Jesus think the paralyzed man needed?
3. Mark 2:6-12; Luke 4:17-21; Luke 7:18-23; Matthew 9:9-13 What was the purpose of the miracles of healing? Why do you think Jesus considered preaching the gospel to the poor as miraculous as the blind seeing and the lame walking?
4. John 3:10-16 What must a person believe to receive eternal life?
5. John 3:17-21 How does belief that leads to life affect the way a believer lives?
6. John 5:1-15 Will miracles alone convince someone to believe? What do you think is the lesson(s) for Christians today in this account?
7. Ephesians 2:8-10; Romans 8:1-4; James
2:14-26 Do you think a person can “believe” Jesus is the Son of God and
still not be saved? Why? How is faith that saves from sin and death expressed?
Part III Sound Instruction
1. Matthew 7:21-27 Who did Jesus say would enter the kingdom of heaven?
2. I Timothy 6:3-5, 20-21; II Timothy 3:14-17; Titus 2:1, 7-8, 11-15 What is “sound instruction” and how can we recognize it?
3. I Corinthians 11:17-32; I John 1:8-10; I John 2:1-2; Revelation 2:5; 2:16; 3:3, 19 What is the remedy for sins Christians commit?
4. Hebrews 10:19-25, 26-29, 32-39; Revelation 3:14-22; I Corinthians 10:12-13; II Peter 3:17-18 What is the difference between being confident of receiving God’s promise and being complacent? What is the difference between being vigilant and being fearful?
5. I Corinthians 11:23-26; II Peter 1:12-21; Jude 24-25 What should we remember and keep in mind throughout our lives?
6. John 14:27; 16:33; Acts 10:34-43; Romans 5:1-11 Describe the peace Jesus made possible? How can you apply the blessing Jesus gave to the woman he healed to your life? (Mark 5:34)