On That Day God Subdued
By Scarlett Stough
To prepare for this study, please read
Judges chapters four and five and the Women in Christ Commentary, Jael.
Part I. The Example of Jael
1. Judges 4:1-3 Why did the Israelites call out to God for help? How did they get into a state of needing help?
2. Judges 4:4-7 What did God tell them to do? What did he promise to do?
3. Judges 4:8-10 How did God intend to deal with Sisera?
4. Judges 4:11-22 What does the text tell you about Heber the Kenite? How was Deborah’s prophecy in verse 9 fulfilled?
5. Judges 4:23-24; Judges 5:20-21 How were the Israelites freed from Canaanite oppression?
6. Judges 5:31 The song Deborah and Barak
sang is recorded in Chapter five of Judges. At the conclusion of the song,
an unknown author commented: “Then the land had peace forty years.” To
what do you attribute this time of peace?
Part II. Prince of Peace
1. Isaiah 59:1-21 Isaiah describes the effects of sin on people and the world. What did God promise to do about it? (verses 15-17)
2. Isaiah 49:1-7; 7:14; Matthew 1:22-23; Isaiah 9:6-7; 52:13-53:1-12; John 3:10-21; Acts 13:23, 32-41 How can we know Jesus is the Savior prophesied in the Old Testament?
3. Hosea 13:4; Micah 7:7; I Timothy 1:1-2 Why do you believe Jesus is God your Savior?
4. Ephesians 2:11-18; John 14:27; 16:33;
Romans 5:8-11 In what ways do you have peace through Jesus?
Part III. He Who Overcomes
1. Revelation 2:7, 11, 17, 26; 3:5, 12, 21 Jesus promised rewards to those who overcome. What do these letters from Jesus to the seven churches tell you that Christians must overcome?
2. Romans 6:15-23; 7:7-25 To what does Paul compare sin? Why is this an apt comparison?
3. I Corinthians 9:24-27; 10:1-13 What kind of effort is involved in resisting sin and doing good? When God subdued the Canaanite king and gave Israel peace, how did the Israelites contribute to their freedom?
4. Romans 7:24-25; Revelation 12:10-11; Romans 8:1-17; Philippians 2:12-13 How does our effort and God’s power work together to free us from sin’s power over us?
5. I John 2:12-17; 5:1-5 What are the elements that enable a person to overcome and be a victor in this war against sin?
6. Matthew 5:9; I Peter 3:10-13; Colossians 3:15; I Corinthians 7:15; I Thessalonians 5:13; II Corinthians 13:11; Romans 12:18-21; 14:19 How do you carry out your responsibility to bring about the peace God has made possible?