Who Is This Who Even Forgives Sins?
By Scarlett Stough
To prepare for this Bible study, please
read the women in Christ commentary, A
Woman Who Had Lived a Sinful Life.
Part I The Example of A Woman Who Had Lived a Sinful Life
1. Luke 7:18-23 If someone today asked you how you know Jesus is the Messiah, how would you answer?
2. Luke 7:24-35 Why did the religious leaders reject John the Baptist? What reason did these same leaders give for rejecting Jesus?
3. Luke 7:36-39 What criticism did the Pharisee Simon have against Jesus?
4. Luke 7:37-38 As a bystander, what opinion would you have had about this woman and her unusual behavior?
5. Luke 7:40-43 What do you think Jesus was telling Simon in his parable?
6. Luke 7:44-46 What does the woman’s attitude and actions tell you about who she thinks Jesus is?
7. Luke 7:47-50 Why was the woman’s sins forgiven? What does Jesus’ act of forgiveness tell you about who he is?
8. Do you identify in any way with Simon
who lived a religious life and/or in any way with the woman whose sins
were public knowledge? What message does Jesus have for you in the account
of Simon and the sinful woman?
Part II The Good News of the Kingdom of God
1. Luke 8:1; Mark 1:14-15, 21-22; Mark 1:9-11 What was the message Jesus brought throughout Galilee? How could Jesus teach with an authority the teachers of the law could not?
2. Mark 2:15-17 How did Jesus answer his critics about the company he kept?
3. Luke 5:20-26, 29-32; Psalm 103:2-6 How did Jesus confirm his authority to forgive sins?
4. John 5:14; Luke 6:20-49 What did Jesus expect a forgiven sinner to do about his sinful way of living?
5. Acts 2:36-41 What is the good news the Apostles preached on Pentecost 50 days after Jesus’ resurrection?
6. Acts 2:42-47 How did this message change the lives of those who believed and accepted that message?
7. Galatians 5:19-21 What acts keep a person from inheriting the kingdom of God?
8. I John 1:5-2:6 What role does repentance have in the lives of Christians after receiving the Holy Spirit?
9. Revelation 1:17-20; 2:1-3:22 What message about repentance does Jesus have for his churches? Do any of these calls to repentance apply to you?
10. Jude 20-24; Romans 8:1-4; Philippians
1:6; Revelation 3:19-22; 21:27 Since we continue to struggle against sin,
how can we be certain our names are written in the Lamb’s book of life?