Fan into Flame the Gift of God
By Scarlett Stough
To prepare for this study, please read
the women in Christ commentary, Lois
and Eunice; II Timothy chapters one through four; and Acts16:1-3
Part I The Example of Lois and Eunice
1. II Timothy 1:5 What was the example that Lois and Eunice modeled for Timothy? Suggest ways they might have influenced Timothyís own faith?
2. II Timothy 3:14-15 When did Timothy begin to learn the Scriptures? What Scriptures would these have been? (Remember, the New Testament or Apostolic Writings, was not in existence at this time.) Who taught Timothy? (II Timothy 1:5; 2:2; 3:10)
3. II Timothy 3:15; Luke 24:25-27 How can the Hebrew Scriptures teach us about salvation through Christ Jesus?
4. II Timothy 3:16-17 Describe the value of teaching and learning the Scriptures?
5. Proverbs 1:7-9; 6:20-24 What kind of teaching should a mother give her children? Is it morally or spiritually different from the teaching a Christian father should give?
Part II The Gift that Helps
1. II Timothy 1:6-7; Acts 2:38-39; 8:17; 19:4-6 What gift of God is given by the laying on of hands?
2. Acts 2:17-18; Joel 2:28-29, 32; Galatians 3:26-29 Who is eligible to receive this gift?
3. II Timothy 1:6-7 What qualities does this gift make available to those who receive it? Are these qualities automatic?
4. Romans 8:9-11 Does living a religious or moral or good life guarantee eternal life even if this gift does not dwell in you?
5. I Corinthians 2:4-5, 9-16; John 14: 16-17 How is it possible to understand the deep things of God?
6. II Corinthians 3:12-18 Who makes it possible to fully understand what God revealed to Moses?
7. Romans 12:4-8; I Corinthians 12:27-31; 14:1-4; Ephesians 4:7-16 List the functions and abilities imparted by Godís gift. Does every Christian have every function or ability? Does every Christian have some spiritual function or ability?
8. Galatians 5:22-26; I John 4:12-18; What gift or fruit should every Christian have? How do they gain it?
9. I Thessalonians 5:19 What warning are we given? Compare this to Paulís instruction to Timothy in II Timothy 1:6. How can you apply this instruction to your own life?
Part III The Pattern of Sound Teaching
1. II Timothy 1:13-14 What pattern of sound teaching was Timothy instructed to follow?
2. II Timothy 1:8-12 What testimony was Timothy encouraged to boldly give?
3. II Timothy 2:1-7 What responsibility was given to Timothy? Who was the source of Timothyís strength, courage, insight, and perseverance?
4. II Timothy 2:8-13 What makes teaching truth worth enduring suffering?
5. II Timothy 2:14-19 List four instructions Timothy was expected to follow. How can you apply these to your own life?
6. II Timothy 2:20-26 List four more instructions. Do these have relevance to your life? Explain.
7. II Timothy 3:1-9 What steps can you take to guide your children away from developing these undesirable attitudes and behaviors?
8. II Timothy 3:10-15 How does Paulís example and teaching reinforce the teaching Timothy received at home? How can your example reinforce the Bibleís teaching to your own children?
9. II Timothy 3:16-17; 4:1-2 Discuss how
you can apply the principles of 1) teaching 2) rebuking