By Scarlett Stough
To prepare for this study, please read
the Women in Christ commentary: Rahab
Part I. The Example of Rahab
1. Joshua 2:1 Why would Rahab’s house be a good source of information for the spies? [Note: The Zondervan NIV Study Bible notes indicate that the word “prostitute” could also be rendered “innkeeper” because the two occupations were often associated together.]
2. Joshua 2:2-3 How do you think Jericho’s king found out so quickly about the spies?
3. Joshua 2:4-7 How did Rahab save the lives of the two spies? How do you feel about that?
4. Joshua 2:8-13 What motive did Rahab have for helping the Israelites?
5. Joshua 2:14-24 What agreement was made between the spies and Rahab? What action did Rahab have to take besides helping them escape?
6. Joshua 6:1-17, 20, 24, 26-27 How did the Israelites defeat Jericho?
7. Joshua 6:17, 22-23, 25; Leviticus 18:24-30;
Deuteronomy 10:18-19; 29:9-18 Would Rahab and her family be expected to
conform to God’s covenant with Israel? How do you think they could make
such a drastic change? How does a new Christian begin to conform to the
community of faith?
Part II. By What He [she] Does
1. Hebrews 11:30 What accompanied the faith of the Israelites that caused the walls of Jericho to fall? Do you think the walls would have collapsed if they had stayed in camp waiting for God to take care of it? Why?
2. Hebrews 11:31; Joshua 2:14-24; James 2:25 What accompanied Rahab’s faith?
3. Joshua 2:9-11; James 2:19 How was Rahab’s faith different from the belief the rest of the inhabitants of Jericho had?
4. James 2:14, 18, 20, 24, 26 According to the Apostle James, what kind of faith did Rahab have? How is her faith similar to the faith Abraham had?
5. James 2:14-17; Matthew 25:40-46 What do you think the relationship is between faith and righteousness?
6. Hebrews 10:39; 11:1-2; 12:28-29; 13:1-21 How does a Christian live faith?
7. I Peter 2:11-12 Are people drawn to God by what you believe or by what you do? Explain. In what specific ways will you show your faith by what you do?