By Scarlett Stough
To prepare for this study please read
the Women in Christ Commentary, Older
Women of Titus Chapter Two.
Part I The Example of the Older Women of Titus Chapter Two
1. Titus 2:1-3 What are the character traits Christian men and women are expected to learn and to teach? [Note: The word “Likewise (NIV)” that introduces verse 3 ties that verse to verses 1 and 2. Therefore the traits in verse 2 apply to the women as well as to the men.]
2. Ezra 7:10; Psalm 1; Psalm 15; Titus 2:3 Describe a reverent way of life. [Note: The English word “reverent” is translated from the Greek “hieroprepes” which “denotes ‘suited to a sacred character, that which is befitting in persons, actions, or things consecrated to God.’”]*
3. Titus 2:4-5 What are “the good things” a mature Christian woman is instructed to teach? [Editor's Note: These instructions will be covered in more detail in the March issue of Women in Christ.]
4. Titus 2:5, 8, 10 What reasons does Paul give for Christians to live reverent lives?
5. Titus 2:4 Why do you think Paul instructed Titus to teach the older women to teach and train the younger women? Is it still a good idea today? Why?
6. Titus 1:10-16 Describe the moral culture prevalent on the island of Crete when Titus was sent there? Why would it be necessary for Paul to send someone to this new Christian congregation to teach them basic biblical morals? Why isn't love and tolerance enough?
Part II Solid Food
1. What similarities or differences do you see between the moral culture of first century Crete and the culture in your own homeland? What efforts are being made to pass biblical morals on to the new or the younger generation of Christians where you live? How are you helping?
2. Hebrews 5:11-14; James 1:20-25 What characteristic separates an immature Christian from a mature Christian who is able to teach sound doctrine?
3. Romans 12:1-2; John 17:15-21 What effect does obedience to sound teaching have on those who study to be like Christ?
The study of Titus Chapter Two will be continued in the March issue Bible Study Guide: Train the Younger Women.
The New Strong's Expanded Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible #2412.